[nas] mplayer and NAS

Darren dazdaz at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 09:40:09 MDT 2006

Hi all,

Thank you both for your reply's.  So general consensus is that I need
to recompile mplayer and that I used the incorrect verbose flags.  If
anybody knows of a mplayer RPM that works on SLC4 or RHES4 with NAS
support, that would make my life so much easier.  I will re-scan dag,
freshrpms etc although I think my mplayer originally came from the dag
repository.

The other method that I understand may work better that involves no
re-compilation of clients is to try using libaudiooss.  However the
URL below does'nt appear to work.

http://freshmeat.net/projects/libaudiooss/

Any idea where to find this and any tips on how to configure it would
be appreciated.

.
>        If you have a specific instructions for specific dists, send
>        them on - I could put up a section/page with OS specific
>        instructions.  But I myself cannot install and test linux
>        dists or other OS's with NAS - I depend on the various dist
>        maintainers, like Steve (Debian) and James
>        (Solaris/Blastwave) for that information (and the occasional
>        patch).

If there is an easy way to get everything with KDE for example to
easily use NAS, that would be extremely useful.  I am still learning
how this works and am still bewildered by the possibility's at present
as I figure it all out and i'm not sure that I can configure the WM to
redirect audio to the network like that, would be nice though.

I still think it's worth trying to document client compile options for
example as a few hints and tips make a good basis to be built upon at
a later date.  And with some basics you can take it from there.

Also a copy and paste of tips from this great and useful mailing list
would be nice to keep things fresh.

Thanks,
Darren