[nas] mplayer and NAS

Erik Auerswald auerswal at unix-ag.uni-kl.de
Fri Jun 30 10:10:23 MDT 2006

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 05:39:23PM +0200, Darren wrote:
> The other method that I understand may work better that involves no
> re-compilation of clients is to try using libaudiooss.  However the
> URL below does'nt appear to work.
>
> http://freshmeat.net/projects/libaudiooss/
>
> Any idea where to find this and any tips on how to configure it would
> be appreciated.

There is a debian package for libaudiooss. You could get the source from
that and build it yourself. It does not need any configuration, just a
correctly set AUDIOSERVER variable (or $DISPLAY being the same as the
NAS server) and is used with LD_PRELOAD=/path/to/libaudiooss.so mplayer.

> If there is an easy way to get everything with KDE for example to
> easily use NAS, that would be extremely useful.

ARTS can be configured to use NAS
(http://docs.kde.org/stable/en/kdemultimedia/artsbuilder/faq.html).
I don't use KDE so I can't help with how to do this.

> I still think it's worth trying to document client compile options for
> example as a few hints and tips make a good basis to be built upon at
> a later date.  And with some basics you can take it from there.

IMHO compile options for external applications shouldn't be on the NAS
website. These belong to the documentation of the application and have
to be maintained there.

> Also a copy and paste of tips from this great and useful mailing list
> would be nice to keep things fresh.

The mailing list archives are linked from the NAS website and include a
search functionality.

Regards,
Erik
--
To do the Unix philosophy right, you have to be loyal to excellence.
                        -- Eric S. Raymond