[nas] mplayer and NAS

Erik Auerswald auerswal at unix-ag.uni-kl.de
Thu Jun 29 22:49:18 MDT 2006

Hi,

On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 07:00:31PM +0200, Darren wrote:
> However I can't get mplayer working, which was the whole reason for
> configuring NAS.  I am using MPlayer 1.0pre7-3.2.3.  I am testing
> mplayer first of all by just playing a simple mp3, and not a video
> file.

You seem to be using a precompiled version from your distro. If that is
the case you should try to find out if the NAS audio output module is
included in this binary. And you should really update to MPlayer
1.0pre8 (resp. ask your vendor to do so).

> Does mplayer need to be recompiled to get NAS to work with it ?  I
> don't understand why the -ao nas option does'nt work.

This depends on your binary.

> [root at pcitfio21 ~]# mplayer -v 3 -ao nas -nojoystick

You have to specify several "-v" options, "-v" does not take an
argument. Your command was equivalent to "mplayer -v -ao nas
-nojoystick"

> Playing 3.
> File not found: '3'
> Failed to open 3

Therefore MPlayer tried to play the file named "3".

> [AO ARTS] Connected to sound server.

There is an ARTS server running on your machine that got used by
MPlayer.

> [AO ARTS] Stream opened.
> [AO ARTS] buffer size: 20480
> [AO ARTS] buffer size: 2048
> AO: [arts] 44100Hz 2ch s16le (2 bps)
> AO: Description: aRts audio output
> AO: Author: Michele Balistreri
> Building audio filter chain for 44100Hz/2ch/s16le ->
> 44100Hz/2ch/s16le...
> [dummy] Was reinitialized: 44100Hz/2ch/s16le
> [dummy] Was reinitialized: 44100Hz/2ch/s16le
> Video: no video
> Freeing 0 unused video chunks.
> Starting playback...

Presumably the ARTS server was used to play the file successfully. ;)

AFAIKT you don't have ao_nas built into your MPlayer binary. NAS output
is autodetected on compile time, you need to either recompile MPlayer
with the NAS development files installed or tell you linux vendor to do
so.

When trying to use ao_nas with an MPlyer w/o NAS output module on a
system w/o ARTS but working OSS and ALSA the following output is produced:

[erik at fal mplayer]$ ./mplayer -ao nas ~/sound/ogg/Misc/pronobozo\ -\ Full\ Flex.ogg
MPlayer dev-SVN-r18793-3.4.3 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
CPU: AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3000+ (Family: 15, Model: 28, Stepping: 0)
Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 3DNow 3DNowEx SSE SSE2

Playing /home/erik/sound/ogg/Misc/pronobozo - Full Flex.ogg.
Cache fill:  0.00% (0 bytes)
[Ogg] stream 0: audio (Vorbis), -aid 0
Ogg file format detected.
Opening audio decoder: [libvorbis] Ogg/Vorbis audio decoder
AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 160.0 kbit/11.34% (ratio: 20000->176400)
Selected audio codec: [vorbis] afm: libvorbis (OggVorbis Audio Decoder)
Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound.
Audio: no sound
Video: no video

Exiting... (End of file)

The part that tells you that there is no NAS output is
"Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound."

Regards,
Erik
--
When in doubt, use brute force.