[nas] Re: Configuring NAS and libaudiooss

Janyne Kizer janyne_kizer at ncsu.edu
Wed Jan 23 18:40:20 MST 2002

Jon Trulson wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, Janyne Kizer wrote:
>
> > Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 16:42:53 -0500
> > From: Janyne Kizer <janyne_kizer at ncsu.edu>
> > To: "nas at radscan.com" <nas at radscan.com>
> > Subject: Re: [nas] Re: Configuring NAS and libaudiooss
> >
> > Thanks a lot.  For testing I added /usr/X11R6/bin to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> > (figuring that if it worked I'd update the necessary files and if it
> > didn't, oh well).  That did help but nasd is still not loading.
> >
> > This is what I did:
> > export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/X11R6/lib/
> > export AUDIOSERVER=myxtermipaddress:0.0
> > export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/X11R6/libaudiooss.so.1.0
>
>                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>         Shouldn't this be LD_PRELOAD=/usr/X11R6/lib/libaudiooss.so.1.0 ?

yup.  my bad.

> > audemo works now (no more libaudio.so.2 error), however other sound
> > making programs do not.
>
>         So by 'works now' you mean you get sound on your HMX, right?  This
> is good.

Yes, sound comes out of the speakers on the HMX when I use audemo.

> > When I start nasd I am continuting to get this.  I am looking into this
> > problem but any suggestions would be appreciated.
> >

>         Since, in effect your HMX is a nas server, you do not need to run
> nasd at all (as basically, nasd is built into the HMX itself) - so you can
> just ignore that side of the problem, ie: don't worry about nasd - you
> don't need it.

Cool!  :-)

>         When you say that other sound programs do not work, what do you
> mean by this? Do you get some specific error?

When I try to get sound from say, Flash, RealAudio or other programs
that I know make sounds, no sound comes out of the speakers on the HMX.
In the case of Flash, the program runs but now sound comes out of the
speakers.  In the case of RealAudio I get an error that I am unable to
reproduce from home with VNC, something about audio device is in use by
another program though.