[nas] Automatic choice between NAS and OSS

Michel Bardiaux mbardiaux at mediaxim.be
Wed Nov 15 03:05:00 MST 2006

I finally managed to tweak my app to run on a linux compute server with
X11 to Xceed on a W2K pC and sound to NASD on that PC. Works well, kudos.

The client does not call libaudio directly, we go through SDL-1.2.2
specially configured to support *just* OSS and NAS (no X, we dont use
the visual parts of SDL; no ALSA, the doc is just too big; no ARTSD nor
ESD, we had too much problems with those 2 even when not actually using
them!).

When running on a Linux PC with audio, we want to use OSS. When the
display is remote, we want to use NAS. I know I have to set the env
variable SDL_AUDIODRIVER; what I'm looking for is suggestions on how to
sense that the display is remote! Because any detection has to work even
when the X protocol runs over an SSH tunnel (in that case, the display
is localhost:10.0 but is actually remote)

BTW if X is over SSH, how do I redirect NAS too?

--
Michel Bardiaux
R&D Director
E mailto:mbardiaux at mediaxim.be