[nas] Nasd as windows service

Jon Trulson jon at radscan.com
Thu Nov 16 19:10:37 MST 2006

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006, Michel Bardiaux wrote:

> I finally managed to tweak my app to run on a linux compute server with
> X11 to Xceed on a W2K pC and sound to NASD on that PC. Works well, kudos.
>
> Now I need to automate the startup of nasd under W2K because these PCs
> are ultimately for non-techical persons, and telling them to open a
> CYGWIN shell window and typing "nasd -aa -v -d 8" is a recipe for an
> armed riot!

         Well, I'm no expert on Windows, that's for sure - but couldn't
         you write a .bat to cd into the binary (nas) dir) and just run
         it?  You might need to have the cygwin DLL in the same dir as
         well.  I would assume windows still has some way of executing
         .bat files on startup...?

> Has anyone tried (and, I hope, succeeded) to run nasd as a Windows
> service, using instsrv.exe and srvany.exe maybe?
>
> And BTW are there specially recommended switches for WIndows?

         If the ones you are using work, they should be fine.  Nothing
         special should be required.  Well, you could use '-b' to
         automatically kick off in the background when started...

--
Jon Trulson
mailto:jon at radscan.com
#include <std/disclaimer.h>