[conquest] Conquest 8.1.2ng1 development snapshot is available

Jon Trulson jon at radscan.com
Wed Jan 18 15:17:05 MST 2006

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006, Bill Patterson wrote:

[... CC'd to the list...]

> Here's what I see....... I don't like the reticle
> thing over the galaxy view. It's distracting. Maybe if
> it were more transparent.

 	the tactical overlay in LR mode?  You can adjust that in the
(O)ption screen, page 2.

> Every single meter scale is off by about 25%. For
> example: say energy is 100%, it shows about 75% on the
> meter. I can't remember which one is which (or read

 	I've noticed this too...

> Orion) so I just go by the numbers now anyways. Which
> is sad because the alien font is way cool. Maybe a
> hotkey that switches to english then back to alien?

 	The problem with the 'alien' fonts is that they aren't really
fonts.  They are a part of the textures.  I think this will have to go.
If we want to do the alien font thing, then we should use actual fonts -
that way we can switch them easily.

> I like the warp meter. Oh so cool!

 	Yes, but I find it hard to read at a glance.

> I really like the visible shields, but perhaps if they
> were more "glass bubble" looking, and less
> substantial, they would look better. But I like them
> as they are much better than not having them. And the
> shield icon rocks.

 	I too prefer a shield indicator around the ship... Just not the
current one :)

> I've been thinking.... Why not render the stars as
> real lights and the ships as some simple 3d models?
> It'd add alot of snazziness to the game. No need to
> move the camera or anything. Just a bit of dynamic
> lighting. You can get free Trek Blender models from:
> http://www.blenderwars.com/frame.php?module=models
> Alternately bump-mapped sprites would probably look
> 99% as good.

 	Hehe, well the selection of ships there is pretty limited.  Might
be interesting to use them to generate better orion textures though (maybe
using the b5 models?).

> Actually I been thinking about this alot...... 3D
> could be a command line switch, when enabled causes
> the routine that draw the ship sprite, to draw the 3d
> model instead. I been messing with 3D code from here:
> http://www.spacesimulator.net/tutorials.html
> As good as you are, you could probably have it all
> running in an hour. lol

 	Well, for lighting you would need to draw actual objects rather
than the tex mapped quads we are using now.  But that's quite a bit more
complicated.  I have always thought it would be cool if the suns were
light emitters.

> On the server side, I'd love it if there were a way to
> double (or is it quadruple?) the size of the universe.
> Example, max distance from center is now about 28k in
> the middle and about 40k in the corners. It'd be way
> cool if the distance to the barrier in the middle
> could be set out to about 60k or so. Heck even a 100k.
> Add an element of exploration into the game.

 	Well, there is a limit to the universe's size.  In the common
block, it's a double so it is quite large already, however the protocol
limit's you to around +/- 1,000,000 CU's.  Pretty big.  The barrier is
setup to the coords to list, but nothing prevents you from placing
planets/stars, etc outside the barrier :)