[conquest] 8.0.1q is now available.

David W. Payne dwpayne at gravitic.com
Tue Dec 21 13:09:38 MST 2004

I think whomever started this thread should of had the decency
to post this to the conquest mailing list.  We NEED to make
use of that list and get others on it too.

Look below for my two cents worth.

Jon Trulson wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Dec 2004, Almighty Tallest Cataboligne wrote:
>
>>>          - When a team is geno'd, all armies of that team still
>>>            residing on live ships are also destroyed.  A message is
>>>            sent to a team when it is genocided notifying them of this.
>>

>> Dont  you mean vacant ships?
>> I mean if I'm live and in the game, and going to beam down to a
>> planet, the armies better NOT dissappear from my ship...  And there is
>> simply no previous existing in game rule,  or even trek-lore based
>> logic for this.
>

>     The only logic for this was a discussion with Dave and I on what
> should happen... ie: currently you can always avoid having to do a
> coup by simply loading up a dummy ship with armies and stash it away
> somewhere. We thought simply removing the armies from all ships (of
> the geno'd team) was a good way to prevent this tactic.  I do not know
> if this tactic has ever been used, but I didn't want to provide
> another reason to use a multi.
>
>     I've CC'd dave on this.
>
>     The thinking being, what are you doing flying around with armies
> when your last planet is going down?
>
>     I am certainly open to discussion on this, I was trying to not
> create even more reasons to create/use a dummy ship.  Do you think
> this should only be applied to vacant ships?  Dave?

A player or team should not be  allowed to load a dummy ship with
armies.  That
is insurance against genocide and having to coup, just poor play.

A player/team that is going down should not be allowed the insurance of
carrying
armies around to avoid having to coup.  That player/team should be
working hard
at defending team planets.

Why shouldn't the armies disappear?  The civilization the armies were a
part of
just disappeared......  The only reason we can't do that with the ships
themselves
is that the ships are associated with the user in the game.  A
player/user would be
very annoyed at losing a high kill ship just because his last planet was
taken and a
genocide occurred.

It would be frustrating if you were trying to defend your civilization
by getting some
armies and running to a different part of the galaxy, just to have them
disappear before
you could beam them down to a new planet.  But think about it.  You
should have done
a better job planning ahead placing armies on planets (with the
additional cost of having
to defend them with ships).  And you should have done a better job
initially of defending
your team planets to avoid genocide.  And the name of this game is
CONQUEST.  Not
INSURANCE!

Sure you can run off with some armies when you face superior odds.  I
know I've done it
myself.   It's just that you have to get to another planet, bomb it and
beam down your armies.
You better move fast.......
That is fair and life isn't fair anyway.

Armies are not "crew".  Logically, armies may be transported to around
but they need to be
on planets to properly train and take care of themselves.  Can't see
logically leaving armies
on ships and expecting them to fight worth a darn.  I'm just saying
armies should not have
a long ship life..... ;-)

And a cloaked ship at warp 0 and not orbiting is not detectable at all.
Before we went
client/server we could triangulate using a couple of live ships and
eventually find the
cloaker.  But until and unless we can bring that functionality back in
client/server the
cloakers have just too much of an advantage.

A few options exist in my opinion.
1) This could be a run-time option like doomsday machine and
slingshot......    I think we
should actually make a decision and implement it.  This option is wishy
washy......
2) Make the ship carrying armies non cloakable, the logic being that the
power needed to
maintain and transport armies is just too high to allow cloaking at the
same time.  But that
would change the logic of how people using cloaking now.
3) Put a timer on life expectancy of ship armies of team genocided ships
to give the player/user
 a chance to populate/reconquer some planet (5 min).

I personally believe that coup time should be limited to five to seven
or eight minutes tops.
I recently ran into a 25 minute period for reorganizing after a failed
coup and that was
way, way too long.