[nas] isolate input/output?

Paul Fox pgf at foxharp.boston.ma.us
Sun Mar 11 11:33:33 MDT 2007

erik wrote:
 > With the attached patch the output and input device can be disabled by
 > specifying an empty string as device name. Yes, when using an empty
 > string for both devices there will be a NAS server that can neither play
 > nor record anything.

thanks -- you're quick!  :-)  i'll give this a try when i get a chance.

i'm realizing, however, that my problems may have only just
begun.  the "other" client in my case is "lircd
--driver=audio_alsa", which will continuously read the input
samples and interpret the data to generate IR remote-controller
codes.  the advantage of this over many other LIRC solutions is
that it needs no special kernel drivers -- it's all user-space.
however, a) it's alsa-based, and nas is using the alsa/oss
compatibility layer, b) it may or may not be good about only
opening the input device, and c) you've already implied that my
hardware may be half-duplex.  so none of this may work in the end
anyway.  :-)

i'll let you know how it goes.

paul