[nas] isolate input/output?

Erik Auerswald auerswal at unix-ag.uni-kl.de
Sun Mar 11 07:13:37 MDT 2007

Hi,

On Sun, Mar 11, 2007 at 01:31:28PM +0100, Erik Auerswald wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 11, 2007 at 01:09:06PM +0100, Erik Auerswald wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 11:51:05PM -0500, Paul Fox wrote:
>
> > > setting it to either a nonexistent
> > > device (/dev/dsp1) or to the same device as output (/dev/dsp)
> > > causes nasd to loop 5 times, with timeout, when trying to open
> > > the input device.
>
> The real problem is that nasd always tries to open both the input and
> output devices. I didn't remember this, my former answers have been
> wrong in regard to this. Sorry.
>
> Whenever _any_ NAS client connects to the server, both devices will be
> opened, so playing sound via the server will inhibit other applications
> from recording.
>
> > If this should not work for you someone would need to write a patch
> > to implement disabling of th input (or rather one of output and input)
> > device...
>
> I'll try to come up with a simple patch for this.

With the attached patch the output and input device can be disabled by
specifying an empty string as device name. Yes, when using an empty
string for both devices there will be a NAS server that can neither play
nor record anything.

Paul's fix is independent from this, his patch needs to be applied,
preferably before this patch (otherwise it will apply with an offset).

Erik
--
In the beginning, there were not enough colors.
                        -- Guy Keren