[nas] Can't find library: "audio"

Jon Trulson jon at radscan.com
Wed Oct 2 11:57:30 MDT 2002

On Wed, 2 Oct 2002, Gansser, Martin wrote:

> Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 11:26:18 +0200
> From: "Gansser, Martin" <MGansser at rand.de>
> To: nas at radscan.com
> Subject: RE: [nas] Can't find library: "audio"
>

> > On Fri, 27 Sep 2002, Gansser, Martin wrote:
[...]
> the command ar -x /usr/lib/libdbm.a produce on hpux 11.x the output file: hpux_rel.o
> the file a.out.o is no longer needed.
>
> > 	Oh, that's disgusting ;-)  I forgot all about that crap.
> > Apparently, in earlier versions of HPUX (don't know about
> > now), there was
> > a version of bcopy in some syslib that conflicted with
> > generally accepted
> > 'standards' of bcopy.  So this mess above, would extract a
> > known working
> > copy of bcopy() from some library and then embed it within
> > NAS, thereby
> > removing the need for the linker to bring in the 'broken' version.
> >
> > 	Please don't yell at me, I didn't write this ;-)
>
> I'am not a programmer, I can't write this.

	I will go with simply removing it in favor of a bcopy->memove
macro.

> > 	I think that in this day and age of flying machines and
> > light bulbs, most systems these days support memmove().
> > Perhaps it's time
> > to remove the bcopy dependancies and replace them with
> > memmove (at least
> > for the server).  That would also allow me to gleefully
> > remove the mess
> > above.
> >

> > 	The errors below are just a result of the fact that this magic
> > library either no longer exists, or no longer contains the
> > bcopy.o object.
> >
> > 	You know, if you could give me ssh access to this
> > machine, I'd be
> > more than happy to try and get it all to build for the next
> > release...
>
> sorry I can't give you a access, because my privat machine is in our company.

	No problem... We'll just do itthe hard way.

> > 	Also, your previous message that indicated to me how you hacked
> > around NetAudio.tmpl isn't something I'd want to put in a
> > shipping NAS.
>
> the only thing I've done is:
>
> addet the following to config/NetAudio.tmpl:
>
> /* For HPUX - 11.00 (Martin Gansser) */
> #if defined(HPUXArchitecture) && OSMajorVersion >= 11 && !defined(HasGcc)
> CCOPTIONS= -Ae -Dhpux
> CDEBUGFLAGS= +O2 +Onolimit +DAportable
> BINDIR = /usr/local/bin/
> USRLIBDIR=/usr/local/lib/nas
> XAPPLOADDIR = /usr/local/lib/X11/app-defaults
> STD_INCLUDES = -I/usr/contrib/X11R6/include -I/usr/include/X11R6
> EXTRA_LDOPTIONS =  -L/usr/contrib/X11R6/lib -L/usr/lib/X11R6
> INCROOT = /usr/local/include/nas
> IRULESRC=/usr/local/lib/X11/imake
> #endif
>
> and Comment:  lib/Imakefile and lib/audio/Imakefile
>
> /* #include "../config/NetAudio.tmpl" */

	^^^ See, this we cannot do for a shipping NAS.  I understand that
Imake is pretty confusing (even to programmers).  I could probably add the
'#if defined(HPUX....' stuff, but I can't just comment out NetAudio.tmpl
;-)

[...]

> > > Make: Don't know how to make AuPassCDebugFlags.  Stop.

	Yes... This is why commenting out NetAudio.tmpl is not a
solution... ;-)

[...]

Jon Trulson    mailto:jon at radscan.com
ID: 1A9A2B09, FP: C23F328A721264E7 B6188192EC733962
PGP keys at http://radscan.com/~jon/PGPKeys.txt
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Bad Color Temperature, Too much Peach.