[conquest] Can't start windows client!

Jon Trulson jon at radscan.com
Thu Apr 22 11:07:30 MDT 2010

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010, Ingo Pussar wrote:

> Hi there,
> I have trouble using the precompiled binary on a Windows XP machine, but
> starting it using wine does work wonderful.
> I did setup both variables according to INSTALL.TXT.
> Starting the game results in opening a window to which nothing is drawn.
> Debug output says "conquest.radscan.com: no such host". This is odd,
> because the computer is perfectly connected to the network and "ping
> conquest.radscan.com" also works.

   How... odd.

> I thought this could be a problem with the windows or router firewall
> blocking UDP, but adding -u option doesn't help.

   Yeah, that would not make a diff - I wonder if there is something
   subtly different in host lookups... At least on my VBox VM's, I have
   not seen this problem.

   What if you specify the metaserver IP directly on the cmd line,
   like:

   conquestgl -M 216.160.163.4

   Does it work?  Can you login to one of the servers?

> I attached the debug output.

   Thanks - that's *always* useful :)

--
Jon Trulson                      | A828 C19D A087 F20B DFED
mailto:jon at radscan.com           | 67C9 6F32 31AB E647 B345

"You can safely assume that you`ve created God in your own image when
  it turns out that God hates all the same people you do." - Ann Lamott