[conquest] Conquest 8.0.1 (stable) is now available

Jon Trulson jon at radscan.com
Sat Jan 17 16:55:27 MST 2004

	at the usual place:

	http://radscan.com/conquest.html

	It corrects a serious problem in dead() that could hang the client
when you were killed.  A lot of other minor issues were adressed as well.

	It also adds Cygwin support for MS Windows users.  Both server and
client are fully functional.

	Here is the release snippet:

Version 8.0.1 1/17/2004

        - fixed rather serious problem with dead() handling.  When you
          were killed by an external (ship, sun, etc), you could get
          stuck in dead() once your ship exploded.

          I recommend that server operators upgrade to this version.

        - cleaned up some logic that should allow conquestd to handle
          unexpected client disconnects better.

        - fixed a VACANT check in conquestd:newship().  It might
          resolve an issue some users have seen where if their
          connection is terminated unexpectedly, they cannot reconnect
          to their ship for awhile ("already playing on another ship")
          because conquestd thinks it's still alive and active.

          If you still see this problem, let me know as well as a way
          to reproduce it.

        - fixed a stupid bug that prevented compilation on non-linux
          systems.

        - added some casts for sa_addr in the network connection
          routines to eliminate some gcc warnings.

        - force 1-byte alignment of the wire packet structs to avoid
          future troubles.

        - a variety of other minor fixes and adjustments.

        - added patches from Clint Adams, adding portable snprintf()
          and friends.

        - Cygwin support under MS Windows (tested with XP):

          - read README.cygwin for cygwin requirements and information.

          - added better mmap() check for cygwin systems.  We don't
            use MAP_FIXED in Conquest anyways, so we don't care if it
            doesn't work.

          - default to 'Users" conquest group for cygwin.

          - isagod() checks pretty much disabled for conqoper under
            cygwin.  If you can get a shell, you can run conqoper, as
            there is no root user.

          - deals with .exe extensions properly

          - packet.c - clientPackets[]/serverPackets[] struct arrays
            are statically defined and no longer exported.  cygwin's
            linker seems to have 'issues' with external references to
            struct arrays.

          - sem.c - some changes to deal with unimplemented cygwin
            semctl() operations.

          - rxvt's choice of colors seems to be off... non-bold white
            (from conquest's perspective) comes out as black.  The
            normal Cygwin console seems to work fine.

Jon Trulson    mailto:jon at radscan.com
ID: 1A9A2B09, FP: C23F328A721264E7 B6188192EC733962
PGP keys at http://radscan.com/~jon/PGPKeys.txt
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
"I am Nomad." -Nomad