[nas] NAS client server sound question

Paul Fox pgf at foxharp.boston.ma.us
Sun Nov 25 08:14:44 MST 2007

admin at mmri.us wrote:
 > I access all my servers from remote terminals, so I generally do not get
 > the sound associated with the application on the server on the remote
 > client.
 > Is it possible with nas to forward an application's sound from the
 > server to the remote terminal/client?
 >
 > I could not find anything in the manual that this is done transparently

perhaps it's not mentioned because, indeed, this is the entire
point of NAS.  you run the "nasd" server program on each of your
remote terminals, and you run NAS-aware applications on your servers.
NAS-aware applications can include the minimal clients included
with NAS itsef (auplay, auedit, etc), programs which are available
with built-in nas support (madplay is one, there are many others),
and even some OSS (i.e., not alsa) client programs which can be
made NAS-aware by running them under audiooss.

paul