[nas] isolate input/output?

Erik Auerswald auerswal at unix-ag.uni-kl.de
Mon Mar 12 22:29:24 MDT 2007

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 08:58:31PM -0400, Paul Fox wrote:
> erik wrote:
>  > On Sun, Mar 11, 2007 at 01:33:33PM -0400, Paul Fox wrote:
>  > > i'll let you know how it goes.
>  >
>  > Thanks, I'd really like to know if this works.
>
> success!  at least, lircd and nasd are running together.

:-)

> anyone have any thoughts on why the defaults for the open() mode
> are the way they are?  they're as i wrote above in the config
> file (i.e., different for input and output).  worse, in the code,
> both devices are opened O_RDWR unless specified otherwise via the
> config.  i'm not sure i can imagine why one wouldn't default to
> O_RDONLY for input, and O_WRONLY for output.  (i note that this
> is the case for CYGWIN.)

I wondered about this when I last worked on the server code, but I
didn't want to change something that seemed to be working fine.

> at the very least, i think we should change the default nasd.conf values
> (which come from nasd.conf.eg, i assume).

I've got no objections against this.

> erik -- thanks for all your help.

You're welcome. :-)

> jon -- i'd go ahead and apply the patches from my and erik's mail.
> they're no worse than what we had before, and almost certainly better.

At least Paul's patch should be applied as it's an actual bugfix.

Erik
--
The woman was carrying hand cream and matches but was not a terrorist threat[.]
                        -- a TSA spokesman