[nas] isolate input/output?

Paul Fox pgf at foxharp.boston.ma.us
Mon Mar 12 18:58:31 MDT 2007

erik wrote:
 > On Sun, Mar 11, 2007 at 01:33:33PM -0400, Paul Fox wrote:
 > > i'll let you know how it goes.
 >
 > Thanks, I'd really like to know if this works.

success!  at least, lircd and nasd are running together.

the last (tiny) hurdle was that i'd never noticed the "readwrite"
parameter in nasd.conf.  as distributed, it's set to "no" for
input devices, and "yes" for output devices.  changing the output
device's value to "no" makes "cat /dev/dsp >/dev/null" succeed
while nasd is running, where it gave EBUSY before.  and, as i
said, lircd no longer fails to open the device either.

anyone have any thoughts on why the defaults for the open() mode
are the way they are?  they're as i wrote above in the config
file (i.e., different for input and output).  worse, in the code,
both devices are opened O_RDWR unless specified otherwise via the
config.  i'm not sure i can imagine why one wouldn't default to
O_RDONLY for input, and O_WRONLY for output.  (i note that this
is the case for CYGWIN.)  at the very least, i think we should
change the default nasd.conf values (which come from
nasd.conf.eg, i assume).

erik -- thanks for all your help.  jon -- i'd go ahead and apply
the patches from my and erik's mail.  they're no worse than
what we had before, and almost certainly better.  :-)

paul