[nas] mplayer and NAS

Jon Trulson jon at radscan.com
Sat Jul 8 15:27:29 MDT 2006

On Mon, 3 Jul 2006, Darren wrote:

> Hi Jon, thanks for your original reply.
>
> I recompiled mplayer from the dag repository, which was'nt too
> difficult and now network audio works
>
> There is a little audio delay though, which i'm not sure where it
> comes (CPU, network etc) from and the setup can probably be debugged a
> little bit more, to improve the performance.
>
> These are the options that I am using.
>
> mplayer -ao nas -nojoystick -framedrop -stop-xscreensaver -cache 8192
> -fs -zoom -quiet -monitoraspect 16:9 -vo x11 file.mpg
>
> Does anyone have any tips to make the nas realtime or as close to as possible
> ?

         Well, getting realtime audio from nas over a network isn't
         really possible at this time (if ever).  I've toyed with the
         idea of implementing the X11 extension XSYNC into NAS, which
         might allow better synchronisation, especially when used with
         an Xserver that supports XSYNC (I think just about all of them
         do).

         You could try lowering the min/maxfrags to 2 and 3
         respectively in /etc/nas/nasd.conf (server-side).  Maybe set
         the fragsize to 256, which it may already be.  Though you run
         a risk of underruns.

         I think one of the biggest issues for you might be the fact
         you are using '-vo x11' for the movie.  I do not know what
         your resolution is, but this is likely to be very slow,
         compared to Xv.  The GL output might provide better
         performance, but I've never tested it.  And of course, Xv is
         definitely the way to go if you can.

--
Jon Trulson
mailto:jon at radscan.com http://radscan.com/~jon