[nas] Couple of questions

Jon Trulson jon at radscan.com
Mon Jan 9 09:48:40 MST 2006

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006, Paul England wrote:

> HI
>
> Is there a nice rc script around that I can use to start nasd after booting a
> machine (Redhat).  The ebuild on Gentoo (most of my boxes) works quite
> lovely, but I've got basically no experience with these things.  Apparently
> only root can start nasd though, due to device permissioning, which makes
> scripting a solution rather tricky.

 	There is a sample rc script in the distribution in contrib/rc/nasd
.  Hopefully that should provided the functionality you need.

> Also, on the same machine, nasd quit outputting sound at one point.  I had to
> restart it, and my QT application to get sound again.  Anyone had any issues
> like this?  My program most likely sent a lot of requests at within a very
> short period of time.  Maybe 30 in a couple of seconds.  Is this an issue?
> what debug level should I set to find such problems, and more
> importantly...where does it output the log?

 	I haven't seen the server crash in a *long* time... You can run
nasd with something like 'nasd -v -d 99' which will turn on maximum
debugging (and output to stderr).  Normally the log entries go into
syslog, so check out /var/log/messages or /var/log/daemon.

Jon Trulson    mailto:jon at radscan.com
ID: 1A9A2B09, FP: C23F328A721264E7 B6188192EC733962
PGP keys at http://radscan.com/~jon/PGPKeys.txt
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
"I am Nomad." -Nomad