[nas] Exporting audio output]

Jon Trulson jon at radscan.com
Fri Feb 13 15:00:51 MST 2004

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004, Shardool wrote:

> From: Shardool <shardool at iiita.ac.in>
> Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 01:22:24 +0530 (IST)
> Subject: Re: [nas] Exporting audio output]
> To: nas at radscan.com
> 	autolearn=no version=2.60

> Any other suggestions?
> >>
> >>	There is a native NAS plugin for xmms at
> >>
> >>	ftp://ftp.stack.nl/pub/users/willem/
> >>
> >>	I use it all the time.  In general, it will be better to use the
> >>native application's NAS support, if available.  libaudiooss is an
> LD_PRELOAD library that intercepts accesses to /dev/{mixer,audio,dsp}
> and converts them into NAS protocol requests.
> >
> > Linux apps are moving away from OSS to ALSA (or even JACK).
> >
> > If the app doesn't use /dev/dsp but /dev/snd/...
> > then libaudiooss can't catch it.
> >

> >>	You should use this lib on apps that do not grok NAS, but use
> >>direct OSS access instead.
> >

> I prefer to use mplayer instead of xmms.

	Mplayer also has native NAS support - try 'mplayer -ao nas ...' if
your mplayer was built with NAS support...

> I have tried running mplayer with the following option along with libaudiooss
>  $ mplayer foobar.avi -ao oss:/dev/dsp
> which tells it to use oss with the device /dev/dsp but it did not work.
> Anyway, I am looking for a generic solution which is not confined to a
> particular application.

	As Paul mentioned, you are unlikely to find one that works with
everything.  KDE uses artsd, gnome uses esd (for which you can get NAS
support in theory).

Jon Trulson    mailto:jon at radscan.com
ID: 1A9A2B09, FP: C23F328A721264E7 B6188192EC733962
PGP keys at http://radscan.com/~jon/PGPKeys.txt
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
"I am Nomad." -Nomad