[nas] cc/gcc issues with imake on Solaris 8

rhfreeman at micron.com rhfreeman at micron.com
Thu Apr 15 03:50:28 MDT 2004

Hi James,

> On 14/04/04, 13:37:37, <rhfreeman at micron.com> wrote regarding
> [nas] cc/gcc
> issues with imake on Solaris 8:
>
> > Ok, I'm trying to compile NAS 1.6c under Solaris 8.
>
> > I run xmkmf as per normal, and it runs fine. The problem
> is, it tries to
> > use "cc" for everything. I've tried setenv CC gcc and the
> like, but it
> > hasn't helped. I even linked (the not working) cc to gcc
> but it didn't
> > help as it can't run with cc's options.
>
> Look in /usr/openwin/lib/config and read sun.cf. You might
> want to edit
> the site.cf settings but I prefer to use defines at compile time.
>
> The make commands I use are:
>
>     imake -DHasGcc2 -DUseInstalled -I/usr/openwin/lib/X11/config
>     make IMAKE_DEFINES='-DHasGcc2' \
>     MFLAGS='IMAKE_DEFINES="-DHasGcc2"' \
>     Makefiles
>     make CDEBUGFLAGS="-Os"
>
> It needs a little work to get the "HasGcc2" passed around.
> That will use any gcc, not just gcc2. I have gcc3.

Wow, thanks for that. I've now got 1.6 to compile!

I tried 1.6c also, but it fails to compile:

gcc -fpcc-struct-return -c   -I../../include -I/usr/openwin/include
-Dsun -Dsparc -DSVR4 -DSYSV   -DXTHREADS  -D_REENTRANT
-DMALLOC_0_RETURNS_NULL  -Os -DTCPCONN -DUNIXCONN ConnSvr.c
ConnSvr.c:1828: conflicting types for `XauGetBestAuthByAddr'
/usr/openwin/include/X11/Xauth.h:137: previous declaration of
`XauGetBestAuthByAddr'

Not important, but I thought I'd report it anyway.

Now, I suppose I best see if I can get it to work!

Rich