[nas] Problems compiling NAS on Solaris x86

Jon Trulson jon at radscan.com
Tue Oct 22 19:27:08 MDT 2002

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Victor Wagner wrote:

> Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 17:04:11 +0400
> From: Victor Wagner <vitus at ice.ru>
> To: nas at radscan.com
> Subject: [nas] Problems compiling NAS on Solaris x86
>
> I've tried to install NAS on my solaris-x86 machine (Solaris 8)
> with some cheap ISA audio card. Card is recognized by Solaris
> as sbpro compatible and following entries exist in /devices:
>
> /devices/isa/sbpro at 1,220:sound,sbpro
> /devices/isa/sbpro at 1,220:sound,sbproctl
>
> with appropriate links from /dev/audio and /dev/audioctl
>
> Card does work, becouse mpg123 plays sound locally. But I use machine
> mainly as X-terminal and need to play sounds from nearby Linux machines.
>
> Machine doesn't have Sun Workshop compilier and does have gcc 2.95.2
> from Solaris 8 Software Companion CD.
>
> I have to fix Imake templates in /usr/openwin/lib/config in order to
> prohibit imake from putting illegal switch -mt into gcc command line.
>
> I've added defines
> HasGcc2 yes,
> HasGcc2ForCplusplus yes
> and redefine ProjectThreadDefines from -DXTREADS -mt
> to -DXTHREADS

	Usually, these will go into site.def (except ProjectThreadDefines
which, unfortunately, you do have to edit directly).

> (I've put these definition into Imake.cf instead of site.def, which
> might be wrong)
>
> After that NAS 1.5 compilies cleanly, but when I attempt to play any
> sound from locally started autool, it plays random noise instead of
> music. Volume of this noice can be adjusted via appropriate scrollbar.

	Is it random?  Or most likely, the wrong sample rate... There are
some adjustables in /etc/nas/nasd.conf that might help... Notably,
maxrate and forcerate... I had a similiar problem on a linux box with an
ISA SB... Had to set to 22Khz as max before it would work.  I don't have
any solaris here to confirm, but I believe several other people on this
list use it regularly...

> Same wav-file is played by sdtaudio without problems.
>
> I've tried to downgrade to NAS 1.4.2, but effect is the same, so
> probably something is wrong in the compilation process.
> Increasing debug level in /etc/nas/nasd.conf doesn't reveal anything
> interesting.

	Did you try the 1.5h devel (soon to be 1.6 release)?

Jon Trulson    mailto:jon at radscan.com
ID: 1A9A2B09, FP: C23F328A721264E7 B6188192EC733962
PGP keys at http://radscan.com/~jon/PGPKeys.txt
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Bad Color Temperature, Too much Peach.