[nas] Problems compiling NAS on Solaris x86

Victor Wagner vitus at ice.ru
Tue Oct 22 07:04:11 MDT 2002

I've tried to install NAS on my solaris-x86 machine (Solaris 8)
with some cheap ISA audio card. Card is recognized by Solaris
as sbpro compatible and following entries exist in /devices:

/devices/isa/sbpro at 1,220:sound,sbpro
/devices/isa/sbpro at 1,220:sound,sbproctl

with appropriate links from /dev/audio and /dev/audioctl

Card does work, becouse mpg123 plays sound locally. But I use machine
mainly as X-terminal and need to play sounds from nearby Linux machines.

Machine doesn't have Sun Workshop compilier and does have gcc 2.95.2
from Solaris 8 Software Companion CD.

I have to fix Imake templates in /usr/openwin/lib/config in order to
prohibit imake from putting illegal switch -mt into gcc command line.

I've added defines
HasGcc2 yes,
HasGcc2ForCplusplus yes
and redefine ProjectThreadDefines from -DXTREADS -mt
to -DXTHREADS

(I've put these definition into Imake.cf instead of site.def, which
might be wrong)

After that NAS 1.5 compilies cleanly, but when I attempt to play any
sound from locally started autool, it plays random noise instead of
music. Volume of this noice can be adjusted via appropriate scrollbar.

Same wav-file is played by sdtaudio without problems.

I've tried to downgrade to NAS 1.4.2, but effect is the same, so
probably something is wrong in the compilation process.
Increasing debug level in /etc/nas/nasd.conf doesn't reveal anything
interesting.

Could anyone give me some hits about tracing this problem?

Victor Wagner			vitus at ice.ru
Chief Technical Officer		Office:7-(095)-748-53-88
Communiware.Net 		Home: 7-(095)-135-46-61
http://www.communiware.net      http://www.ice.ru/~vitus