[nas] NAS 1.5g (devel) is now available

Jon Trulson jon at xig.com
Tue Oct 8 12:20:51 MDT 2002

On 8 Oct 2002, Raymond Toy wrote:

> Date: 08 Oct 2002 13:33:16 -0400
> From: Raymond Toy <toy at rtp.ericsson.se>
> To: jon at radscan.com
> Cc: nas at radscan.com
> Subject: Re: [nas] NAS 1.5g (devel) is now available

>     Jon> 	... at http://radscan.com/nas.html
>

>     Jon> 	This should be the final dev release... Unless there are serious
>     Jon> problems, I'd like to go with this one in 2 weeks.
>
> Ok, here's a bug, maybe.
>
> In XEmacs 21.5.9 and probably much earlier versions, the SoundFileInfo
> array is used directly.  Nas 1.5e no longer has this array.  The
> comments said it a new function was going to be used, but I don't know
> what function that would be.

	Oops.  Emacs should never have been using those structs directly.
The changes I made to this was to support Cygwin under Windows, which
apparently has a pretty stupid linker.  The were some macros that
referenced the array in order to get various info (like
SoundFiletoName(), etc) - these are what should have been used.  Now these
are functions, and the structure is private tho the sound.c file.  Hmm.

> Also, if this is changed, is there some way for xemacs to know which
> version of nas is being used?  Hacking configure to detect this is not
> my idea of fun.

	I agree... If your code is limited to the macros (and now, the new
functions) no code should need to be changed at all.  I would suggest that
and code that tried to access these structures be fixed - this way no
configure checks are needed.  I did bump up the libaudio.so revision
number (to 2.3 I think - I'm at work now).

> I also have problems on Linux with getting the server running.  I run
> nasd without setting AUDIOSERVER, but with DISPLAY set.  From strace,
> I see nasd trying to bind to port 8000.  It tries many times and then
> gives up.  When I tell run nasd :1, strace says it connects to port
> 8001 on the first try.

	What kind of error does it get?  It almost sounds like port 8000
is busy... Do you have another (older perhpas) nasd running on 8000?

> I'd give you some more info, but I'm not sitting at my Linux box right
> now.  I've reported some of these Linux issues before, but have not
> yet tracked down the problem.

	Hmm.  I try to fix these types of this as soon as I hear about
them... The DISPLAY/AUDIOSERVER issue was dealt with around 1.5b or so I
believe.  The problem there was that NAS (when using $DISPLAY) would
sometimes try to bind to the wrong port (16000, for example).

Jon Trulson    work: mailto:jon at xig.com, home: mailto:jon at radscan.com
Xi Graphics, Inc.  http://www.xig.com
ID: 1A9A2B09, FP: C23F328A721264E7 B6188192EC733962
PGP keys at http://radscan.com/~jon/PGPKeys.txt
#include <stddisclaimer.h>
Bad Color Temperature, too much Peach.