[nas] Re: help with using sox with nas-piping sound

sibusiso xolo sibxol at b-vol.co.uk
Fri Oct 4 15:24:58 MDT 2002

On Wednesday 02 October 2002 13:58, Tobias Diedrich wrote:
> sibusiso xolo wrote:
> > I am trying to route sound from a bt848 tv/radio card  (using v4l) to a
> > remote nas server:
>
> In this case it is not good to globally export the LD_PRELOAD line
> because this means libaudiooss is linked agains every app you start
> after that and it always tries to redirect accesses to /dev/dsp to the
> server.
> auplay does seem to have some problems with playing from stdin, but this
> should work:
>
> LD_PRELOAD= sox -w -s -c 2 -r 44100 -t ossdsp /dev/dsp -t raw - |
> LD_PRELOAD=libaudiooss.so sox -t raw -w -s -c 2 -r 44100 - -t ossdsp
> /dev/dsp
>
> Here the first sox command is used without libaudiooss preloaded so that
> it will access your real soundcard and the second is used with
> libaudiooss preloaded so that the output will get redirected to the
> server.

I  expected the above command when executed to  hang and allow the start of
xawtv in another terminal and the piping of sound.  There seems to be  a
delay needed in  the above command to allow resampling of the sound.  I read
the man page of sox  but the use of resample  is not straightforward.  I
would be grateful for  you suggestions .

regards
sibu