[nas] Re: playing audio CDs with nas

Tobias Diedrich ranma at gmx.at
Wed Oct 2 12:38:47 MDT 2002

sibusiso xolo wrote:

> It worked OK.   There are  gaps  in the sound where it reports  audiooss:
> buffer underrun.  I  read the man page for cdrparanoia and tried varying a
> few setting but I have not yet been able to get rid of the gaps. I will read
> the man pages for sox to see if there are settings to be rid the sound-gaps.
> In the mean time if you find a solution please let me know.

Does it work locally ?
e.g. cdparanoia -d /dev/cdrom -b 1- - | LD_PRELOAD= sox -t raw -r 44100 -c 2 -w -s - -t ossdsp /dev/dsp
If not, then your cdrom is probably too slow. You could try turning off
the jitter correction (-Z option of cdparanoia).
If it works locally, but not with the server then your server is
probably too slow. Try renicing nasd to -15.
If you compile libaudiooss from source you can also try to adjust
FRAG_SIZE and FRAG_COUNT parameters in nasaudio.c .
Increasing FRAG_SIZE may help.

--
Tobias								PGP: 0x9AC7E0BC
This mail is made of 100% recycled bits