[nas] Problems with RealOne Player

Jon Trulson jon at radscan.com
Wed Jan 30 18:41:43 MST 2002

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Dave Richards wrote:

> Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 16:52:04 -0500
> From: Dave Richards <drichard at largo.com>
> To: nas at radscan.com
> Subject: [nas] Problems with RealOne Player
>
> > All-
> >
> >       I have been unable to get the new version of RealPlayer (RealOne)
> > working with NAS via Eriks redirection library.   We are using NCD
> > terminals and this is the first time I have seen these results.  The
> whole
> > Xserver locks up, all windows stop working until it times out and then
> > bombs.  Realplayer 7 and 8 used to work just fine.

	I don't have any NCD terms here, but what you describe seems like
an X server problem to me... Working for an X server company - I'm quite
familiar with that phenomenon ;-)  NAS doesn't use the Xserver for
anything so I don't see how NAS could cause it - unless the builtin NAS
server in the xterm is having a problem that crashes the whole machine...

	This may be a stupid question, but can you run realplayer without
any sound at all? no NAS, libaudiooss, etc?

> >       I am wondering if anyone else can duplicate my efforts and see if
> > they see the same thing.  There is a place to set the 'soundcard' and all
> 3
> > of the settings do the same thing.  Very strange.
>
> I have placed the .bin file on our webserver for anyone that wants to try
> it.  Go to http://www.largo.com/realproblem/

[...]

Jon Trulson    mailto:jon at radscan.com
ID: 1A9A2B09, FP: C23F328A721264E7 B6188192EC733962
PGP keys at http://radscan.com/~jon/PGPKeys.txt
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Bad Color Temperature, Too much Peach.