[nas] Newbie on the list...

Jon Trulson jon at radscan.com
Fri Dec 27 12:46:54 MST 2002

On Fri, 27 Dec 2002, Ben Kamen wrote:

> Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 13:20:40 -0600 (CST)
> From: Ben Kamen <bkamen at benjammin.net>
> To: nas at radscan.com
> Subject: [nas] Newbie on the list...
>

> Hey there...
>
>  I'm new to NAS, but not Xterms. I have 4 NCD terminals (3 explora 450's
> and an HMXpro). I'd like to get the sound on them working and am now about
> to take the plunge.
>
> I'm running RH 8.0
> I downloaded NAS 1.6
> it compiles.
> it's installed.
>
> Can I run nasd out of xinetd? Or is it better to run it as a daemon?

	There are others on the list who actually use these devices, but I
can take a stab ;-)

> how transparent is it to the user? I have desktop sounds enabled. I'd like

	It depends on the application, but it should be pretty
transparent.  Apps with native NAS support won't be a problem.  Most
non NAS aware apps should also work fine provided you use Erik Inge
Bolsø's libaudiooss preload library.  This library 'fools' applications
into thinking they are talking to a sound card, when in fact, they are
really talking to a NAS server.

	Links to the xmms plugin and Erik's libaudiooss shim can be found
at:

	http://radscan.com/nas/nas-links.html

> to use xmms to play MP3's and such...
> Is it as simple as running nasd and setting up the appropriate env vars?
>
> Can multiple xterms connect to the same instance of nasd? I read that
nasd
> takes control of the audio device which is fine, but not if I want to use
> multiple terms...hehe..

	nasd is the audio server that accepts audio client connections and
sends them to sound hardware.  In your case, the audio hardware is on the
NCD's.  For NCD Xterminals with sound hardware, basically nasd is built
into them, so you will not need to run nasd on your server at all.  The
audio library on your RH machine will determine what server (Xterminal) to
connect to, based on either your $DISPLAY or $AUDIOSERVER env variables.

	So assuming nas is already installed, and your NCD's have the
sound hardware, you should be able to do a quick test by logging into
the RH server with an Xterm, ensuring $DISPLAY or $AUDIOSERVER are
pointing to the correct display, then try 'auplay <some wav file>' and you
should get sound on your Xterm...

> Otherwise, I'm just about there.. I just need a little advice from the
> seasoned user...

	Hopefully this will help a little.  Maybe this should be a FAQ
item ;-)

Jon Trulson    mailto:jon at radscan.com
ID: 1A9A2B09, FP: C23F328A721264E7 B6188192EC733962
PGP keys at http://radscan.com/~jon/PGPKeys.txt
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Bad Color Temperature, Too much Peach.