[nas] Newbie on the list...

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Fri Dec 27 12:20:40 MST 2002

Hey there...

 I'm new to NAS, but not Xterms. I have 4 NCD terminals (3 explora 450's
and an HMXpro). I'd like to get the sound on them working and am now about
to take the plunge.

I'm running RH 8.0
I downloaded NAS 1.6
it compiles.
it's installed.

Can I run nasd out of xinetd? Or is it better to run it as a daemon?
how transparent is it to the user? I have desktop sounds enabled. I'd like
to use xmms to play MP3's and such...
Is it as simple as running nasd and setting up the appropriate env vars?

Can multiple xterms connect to the same instance of nasd? I read that nasd
takes control of the audio device which is fine, but not if I want to use
multiple terms...hehe..

Otherwise, I'm just about there.. I just need a little advice from the
seasoned user...

Thanks!

 -Ben

--
Ben Kamen - Fixer of Broken Things
mailto:bkamen at benjammin.net                   http://www.benjammin.net

Abandon the search for Truth; settle for a good fantasy.