[nas] another patch for auplay

Alan W Black awb at cs.cmu.edu
Tue Jan 30 15:29:22 MST 2001

 Jon Trulson writes on 30 January 2001:
 > On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, R. P. Channing Rodgers, M.D. wrote:
 >
 > > Don't know what Paul is using, but I'm interested in using the recently
 > > released sphinx code from CMU for such applications.  Just got it going
 > > on our SPARTC/Solaris platform thanks to the kindness of Heidi Fox of
 > > Brown Univ. who shared her patches for Solaris.  I believe the original
 > > release supports Linux already:
 > >
 > >    http://www.speech.cs.cmu.edu/sphinx/
 > >    http://sourceforge.net/projects/cmusphinx/

Can you send me (awb at cs.cmu.edu) these patches and I'll fold
them into the sphinx CVS tree.

 > > I'm hopeful that folks on this list can sort out the interesting
 > > problems that have been discussed in the past few days with respect
 > > to making network-distributed audio services more flexible and robust
 > > to better enable systems like festival, for the text-to-speech end of
 > > things.
 > >

 > 	Well, festival supports NAS natively, and quite well...  I would
 > think sphinx could be made to as well without too much diffuculty...

Back in Edinburgh (with festival) we used NAS all the time but here at
CMU I don't think I've seen anyone use it, especially not in the
sphinx group (which I'm now a member of).

It something we code look at though its probabaly not current a
priority, However if someone wants to do this I can put it into the
release.  Currently the audio stuff in sphinx is a little too closely
tied and we are intending to separate it out, at that time nas
support would be reasonable.

Alan

Alan W Black                                email: awb at cs.cmu.edu
Language Technologies Institute             http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~awb/
Carnegie Mellon University                  tel: +1-412-268-6299
5000 Forbes Ave, Pittsburgh PA, 15213, USA. fax: +1-412-268-6298