[nas] Hardcoded limits, evil of

Erik Inge Bolsø knan at mo.himolde.no
Sun Feb 11 08:39:11 MST 2001

I'm toying with the thought of coding up an ALSA server for NAS, and thus
started digging into nasd/audiolib internals. And I found this:

#define	NotAPhysicalDevice		0
#define PhysicalOutputMono		(1L << 0)
#define PhysicalOutputLeft		(1L << 1)
#define PhysicalOutputRight		(1L << 2)
#define PhysicalOutputStereo		(1L << 3)
#define AllPhysicalOutputs	       ((1L << 4) - 1)

*sigh*

This makes utilizing alsa's support for >2 channel devices (at least 26
physical channels are possible) very hacky, it seems. May I hazard a
guess that extending NAS for such things would involve quite large
& sweeping changes?

--
Erik I. Bolsø | email: <knan at mo.himolde.no>
The UNIX philosophy basically involves giving you enough rope to