[nas] Writing Win9X NAS Server

Jon Trulson jon at radscan.com
Thu Sep 14 21:49:52 MDT 2000

On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Michel Bardiaux wrote:

> Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 09:51:31 +0200
> From: Michel Bardiaux <mbardiaux at peaktime.be>
> To: nas at radscan.com
> Subject: Re: [nas] Writing Win9X NAS Server
>
> Erik Inge Bolsø wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, Arek Stegienko wrote:
> > >how the client and server communicate.  In other words a clear easy to
[...]

> With Cygnus porting XFree4 to WinXX, wouldn't it be better to consider a
> 'straight' port of NAS to WinXX, and maybe an integration of NAS *in*
> XFree? Multiple implementation trees are not necessarily a bad thing -
> when a protocol is an RFC or even a de facto standard. But a the stage
> NAS is now, IMHO multiple implementations would be a problem. The
> license is certainly not so restrictive that a rewrite from scratch
> might be needed!

	Well a straight port of the NAS server to windows is probably the
best way to do it, but I don't see how trying to stick it in the Xfree
tree would do anything useful.  I suspect they are not interested in doing
the port to winxx for us ;-)

	If the Xfree server and X11 environment could be ported to winxx,
then I think a straight NAS port would be made alot easier, since much of
the code dealing with network setup and teardown would have to be done for
the xf server as well, and you would then have a psuedo-guide to NAS...
I have 0 windows programming experience so I have no idea what the real
effort of a port would entail.

Jon Trulson    mailto:jon at radscan.com
ID: 1A9A2B09, FP: C23F328A721264E7 B6188192EC733962
PGP keys at http://radscan.com/~jon/PGPKeys.txt
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
You talk like a Ferengi.