[nas] Writing Win9X NAS Server

Michel Bardiaux mbardiaux at peaktime.be
Wed Sep 13 01:51:31 MDT 2000

Erik Inge Bolsø wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, Arek Stegienko wrote:
> >how the client and server communicate.  In other words a clear easy to
> >understand list of what the client sends, how the server responds,
> >etc.  I know that there's a protocol.txt file distributed with the
> >current version of NAS, but I was hoping there's something simpler.  A
> >simplified look at exactly what goes on from the point where the client
> >tries to connect to the point where it starts to stream the audio
> >info.
>
> You're not the only one that would like something like that to exist. The
> protocol.txt explains only data types, not the connection procedure or
> what is sent when. As I'm considering writing a NAS server for AmigaOS
> from scratch, not necessarily in C even, when some software upgrades and a
> big fat rom kernel reference manual finally arrives, this would help my
> efforts as well.
>
> Any helpful gurus around here? :-)
>
> --
> Erik I. Bolsø | email: <knan at mo.himolde.no>
>               | irc: Knan / #linux.no @ Undernet

With Cygnus porting XFree4 to WinXX, wouldn't it be better to consider a
'straight' port of NAS to WinXX, and maybe an integration of NAS *in*
XFree? Multiple implementation trees are not necessarily a bad thing -
when a protocol is an RFC or even a de facto standard. But a the stage
NAS is now, IMHO multiple implementations would be a problem. The
license is certainly not so restrictive that a rewrite from scratch
might be needed!

--
Michel Bardiaux
Peaktime Belgium S.A.  Rue Margot, 37  B-1457 Nil St Vincent