[nas] Writing Win9X NAS Server

Jon Trulson jon at radscan.com
Thu Sep 14 21:28:12 MDT 2000

On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, Erik Inge Bolsø wrote:

> Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 23:46:59 +0200 (CEST)
> From: Erik Inge Bolsø <knan at mo.himolde.no>
> To: Arek Stegienko <harry.muscle at usa.net>
> Cc: nas at radscan.com
> Subject: Re: [nas] Writing Win9X NAS Server
[...]

> >etc.  I know that there's a protocol.txt file distributed with the
> >current version of NAS, but I was hoping there's something simpler.  A
> >simplified look at exactly what goes on from the point where the client
> >tries to connect to the point where it starts to stream the audio
> >info.
>
> You're not the only one that would like something like that to exist. The
> protocol.txt explains only data types, not the connection procedure or
> what is sent when. As I'm considering writing a NAS server for AmigaOS
> from scratch, not necessarily in C even, when some software upgrades and a
> big fat rom kernel reference manual finally arrives, this would help my
> efforts as well.

	Unfortunately there is no such document... The ones who could've
written it (the original authors) don't seem to be around anymore.  As
they suggest in the README 'use the source'.  Sorry I can't offer anymore
than that.  You will probably just have to slug through the server code.
It's modeled on the X11 display server, so if you are familiar with that,
then this shouldn't be too hard ;-)  I suspect that alot of people would
like to see a windows port...

Jon Trulson    mailto:jon at radscan.com
ID: 1A9A2B09, FP: C23F328A721264E7 B6188192EC733962
PGP keys at http://radscan.com/~jon/PGPKeys.txt
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
You talk like a Ferengi.