[nas] Why is NAS authentication not implemented?

Jon Trulson jon at radscan.com
Wed Jan 24 12:22:51 MST 2018

On Wed, 24 Jan 2018, G.raud wrote:

> The nasd(1) manpage mentions auhtentication below the description of the
> option -aa.
>
> I looked at the source code of nasd.  It seems there is code in there
> that implements an authorization update and check (similar to that of
> X11).  However the authorization filename (stored in the variable
> "authorization_file") is never initialized and the functions
> "AddAuthorization" or "LoadAuthorization" updating the authorization are
> never called; this implies that authorization is not availaible in the
> current version.
>
> I would like to know if authentication has never been completed or if it
> has been disabled at some point.

I don't think it was ever completed/worked properly.  It certainly was
not disabled.  It was supposed to use the standard X11 authentication
mechanism, but I believe it was based on a very old version (early
90's).

--
Jon Trulson

"But when I'm in command, every mission's a suicide mission."

                               - Zapp Brannigan