[Nas] Malformed man pages

Steve McIntyre steve at einval.com
Thu Oct 13 11:01:15 MDT 2011

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 07:27:49PM -0600, Jon Trulson wrote:
>On Wed, 12 Oct 2011, Jon Trulson wrote:
>>On Wed, 12 Oct 2011, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>>>
>>>I've just done exactly that and looked again. Looking right at the end
>>>of the build process, I'm seeing:
>>>
>>>========================================================================
>>>if test -z "true" ; then \
>>>          cd `dirname SoWrFile` && \
>>>          ln -s `basename SoWrFile.man` `basename SoWrFile._man`; \
>>>       else \
>>>                    cpp -undef -traditional
>>>-D__apploaddir__=/etc/X11/app-def
>>[...]
>>
>>I think you are right Steve something is wrong here.  I do not see you
>>symptoms, but I see other oddities.  For reference, I will include a
>>snippet that I see:
>
>Ok, so I didn't want to wait for the weekend :)  Two issues (at least
>for me):
>
>1. man pages being preprocessed.  Not sure when this changed, but it
>seems xorg's imake rules do this by default on linux now.  Lazy
>programmers, sigh.  Attached is a patch for nas that should make them
>stop.  Please try it.

Yup, that fixes the problem for me.

>2.  After I made this change, the man pages were generated properly
>again.  However, I also had the kubuntu nas-devel package installed,
>which supplies gzip compressed (and broken) man pages.  I removed this
>package.  Then after building nas:

nas-devel, or libaudio-dev? I'd expect the ubuntu/kubuntu packages to
follow the Debian packages I maintain...

>man install
>then make install.man
>
>'man AuStartFlow' and friends look correct again.
>
>And to be sure, I then rebuilt nas again from scratch with the
>installed dev bits I'd just compiled and installed.  Man pages seem
>fine still.  Yay.
>
>Let me know what you find.

Yup, looks good now. I've just committed it into svn and I'll be
uploading a new Debian package shortly.

--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK.                                steve at einval.com
"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that