[nas] nas on Mac OS X?

Raymond Toy toy.raymond at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 07:53:27 MST 2011

On 1/22/11 7:41 AM, Erik Auerswald wrote:
> Hello Ray,
>
> On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 08:53:36PM -0500, Raymond Toy wrote:
>> Just wondering nas will run on OSX?
> I don't know and have no Mac to test. :-(
That can be remedied. :-)
>> I saw the mailing list messages about nas not building on OSX.  I did
>> get all the client stuff building on OSX, but I think I'm missing the
>> server part.
> Did you have to change anything to get clients building?
Yes.  In config/NetAudio.tmpl, I added -lXau to the AUDIOLIBS line.
After that, all the clients linked.  They appear to run, but without a
server on OSX, I can't test.  And I'm also having some problems getting
ssh forwarding of the nas ports from my OSX box to my linux box so that
I can run the client on OSX and the server on linux to listen to the audio.
>> Does that exist?  If not, what would it take to make a server?  I do
>> have portaudio working nicely on OSX, but I'd like a network-aware sound.
> You would probably need a MacOS X specific server/dda/ part. Currently
> there is support for HP-UX, IRIX, Solaris and OSS/Voxware (BSD, Linux,
> ...).
Is there a document that describes what's needed to write one?  I wasn't
thinking of writing a direct interface to OSX audio, but using portaudio
as the interface between nas and OSX audio.

Ray