[nas] firefox audio solution?

Jon Trulson jon at radscan.com
Sun Feb 10 15:20:05 MST 2008

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008, Paul Fox wrote:

> erik wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 12:30:15PM -0500, Paul Fox wrote:
> > > i believe that previous versions of firefox worked with audiooss,
> > > but current (2.0) versions do not, at least for me.  i'm assuming
> > > that newer firefox releases no longer use the oss path that
> > > audiooss intercepts.
> >
> > It still does, you might to set the environment variable ICEWEASEL_DSP
> > (since I use debian, I don't know if it's FIREFOX_DSP for an official
> > browser) to the right value. Since this is called "/dev/dsp wrapper" by
> > the iceweasel man-page I suppose "none" should be right.
>
> whoa.  firefox has a manpage?  who knew?  ;-)
>
> > ENVIRONMENT
> >   FIREFOX_DSP - configures the /dev/dsp wrapper to use.
> >   Accepted values are "auto", "arts", "esd" or "none" (default).
> >   Do not use this feature to select "auto" or "esd" as this will
> >   involve using "esddsp" which is known to be buggy and to make
> >   Firefox unstable.
>
> i'm not sure i understand this.  what _is_ the /dev/dsp wrapper that
> they're talking about?  is "audio_oss" a dsp wrapper?

   libaudioss 'wraps' /dev/dsp accesses via open(), write(),
   etc... Alot of OSS software these days seem to be using C stdio
   (fopen(), fwrite(), etc)... libaudiooss does not support this
   currently.

   I discovered this with timidity a few months ago.

   I haven't heard from the audiooss maintainer in quite awhile, maybe
   bringing libaudioss into the nas project and fixing it up to support
   stdio would be worthwhile?

[...]

--
Happy cheese in fear                 | Jon Trulson
against oppressor, rebel!            | mailto:jon at radscan.com
Brocolli, hostage.       -Unknown    | #include <std/disclaimer.h>