[nas] firefox audio solution?

Paul Fox pgf at foxharp.boston.ma.us
Sun Feb 10 10:30:15 MST 2008

so, has anyone solved the remote-audio-from-firefox issue?  i can
currently do everything else i need using NAS -- mp3, etc.  and,
actually, browsing without audio can be kind of a blessing
sometimes -- at work, where i use headphones for audio when i
need it, i occasionally hit a site with one of those incredibly
annoying jingle loops, and i'm glad i never get that from the
stereo connected to the computer in my livingroom.

however, some experiences (mainly flash video, from youtube, or
from news stations) are lacking without the audio.

i believe that previous versions of firefox worked with audiooss,
but current (2.0) versions do not, at least for me.  i'm assuming
that newer firefox releases no longer use the oss path that
audiooss intercepts.

does anyone know if it would be feasible to introduce a similar
shim under alsa?  would it make more sense to try and get a new
audio output (i.s.  NAS) device added the alsa repertoire?  if
someone tells me such a thing already exists, i'll mail you a
6-pack of beer.

i've tried running firefox locally on my thin client workstations
(i have two of them), but at 600mhz, firefox saturates the CPU,
and the video is completely chopped up.  running remotely, the
video is fine, but then i have no audio.

i'd also be happy with a standalone, highly efficient flash movie
player that could run on my 600mhz epia motherboards.  no
browsing necessarly -- just handling of flash URLS.  is that
feasible?

any thoughts welcome...

paul