[nas] sleep(1)s in ConnSvr.c

Kris Marsh moogman at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 18:46:19 MDT 2008

Hi guys,

I'm just wondering about the rationale for the sleep(1) at
ConnSvr.c:895 ConnSvr.c:1060 and ConnSvr.c:1104.

It seems to me that they're all basically pausing after a failed
{UNIX,tcp} socket connection. What I'm wondering is why this is
happening, and also the reasoning behind the retries. Is it expected
that re-trying a failed connection after a second would ever succeed?

Ultimately, I would love to see these sleeps removed (attached patch),
and also the #define AU_CONNECTION_RETRIES 5 at ConnSvr.c:84 set to 0
- is there any likelihood of this happening? My application is pausing
for 5 secs before it can continue if a NAS server is unable to be
contacted.

Thanks!
Kris