[nas] NAS client server sound question

Jon Trulson jon at radscan.com
Sun Nov 25 14:57:24 MST 2007

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007, admin at mmri.us wrote:

> [root]# whereis nasd
> nasd: /usr/bin/nasd /usr/share/man/man1/nasd.1x.gz

   Ahh, so it's moved.

> [root]# /usr/bin/nasd -aa -v -d 99
> Network Audio System Release 1.9.1
> Network Audio System Release 1.9.1
> AuInitPhysicalDevices();
> Init: will close device when finished with stream.
> Init: will keep mixer device open.
> Init: Leaving the mixer device options alone at startup.
> Init: openDevice OUT /dev/dsp mode 1
> Init: Output open(/dev/dsp) failed: No such file or directory
>
> Fatal server error:
> could not create audio connection block info
> [root]#
>

> No dsp device!
> Now how can that be?
> Does nas create a virtual DSP device accessed through a port or do you have
> to have hardware installed  on the server?

   Yes - I had thought Paul explained that - basically nas is a sound
   server - ie: it provides network access to sound hardware.

   The nasd server runs on the machine(s) that have the audio devices
   installed in them.

   nas clients connect (locally or over the network) to the nasd server
   to play sounds.

   It works very much like an Xserver (and in fact is based on X11),
   where the X server runs on the device with the display hardware
   (video card/monitor, mouse, etc) and X clients connect to it to
   display their thang.

--
Happy cheese in fear                 | Jon Trulson
against oppressor, rebel!            | mailto:jon at radscan.com
Brocolli, hostage.       -Unknown    | #include <std/disclaimer.h>