[nas] isolate input/output?

Paul Fox pgf at foxharp.boston.ma.us
Tue Mar 13 06:47:32 MDT 2007

jon wrote:
 >          Since we deal with input and output using seperate fd's, I
 >          can't really think of a good reason why we cannot simply
 >          always open output devices write-only and input devices read-only.
 >
 >          I tried it hear, and it seems to work fine, at least for my
 >          basic output-only duties.  I am using an SB PCI (basic).  I do
 >          not recording via NAS.
 >
 >          Think it's a safe default?

is there by chance an ancient changelog entry mentioning this behavior?
probably not.

well, it seems to be okay for the cygwin port, and it makes good
logical sense.  as long as there's a config file mechanism to
override, then i'd say "yes".  i'd both change the defaults in the
code, and change the default config file to match.  and i'd put a
note in the code somewhere noting that we're not sure why its
necessary to be able to open readwrite -- just so the lucky
volunteer who decides it's time to add direct alsa support
doesn't feel they absolutely have to implement it.

paul