[nas] isolate input/output?

Erik Auerswald auerswal at unix-ag.uni-kl.de
Sun Mar 11 13:17:33 MDT 2007

Hi,

On Sun, Mar 11, 2007 at 01:33:33PM -0400, Paul Fox wrote:
> i'm realizing, however, that my problems may have only just
> begun.
>
> a) it's alsa-based, and nas is using the alsa/oss
> compatibility layer,

I've just checked that nasd (in this case for input) and alsa output to
the same sound hardware works for me. So not all hope is lost. :-)

> b) it may or may not be good about only opening the input device, and

This could be tested by first starting lircd and then nasd. nasd should
fail to open the device if lircd opens it for output as well and you
would notice if starting of nasd breaks lirc operation.

> c) you've already implied that my
> hardware may be half-duplex.  so none of this may work in the end
> anyway.  :-)

IMHO you should check this first, as this is a basic requirement.

> i'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks, I'd really like to know if this works.

Erik