[nas] Re: You are apparently unaware that you (with NAS) are violating the GPL?

Alfredo Ferrari alfredo.ferrari at cern.ch
Fri Jun 8 14:52:02 MDT 2007

Dear Jon

if you need oranges when in jail let me know, I use nas since years
and I am willing to contribute to your defense fund, even to write a
letter to Mr. Bush supporting your pardon after the unavoidable sentence
(but you are not American, am I wrong?), just in case.

Just to add a bit of personal experience: I had interaction about some
(large) scientific software I and colleagues developed along the years and
which is not GPL or MIT or anything like that because the Institutions I
worked for so decided. This software ended up by mistake into the (GPL'ed)
version of cernlib originally built for Debian (and now available from
Fedora Extras as well).
The guy who packaged the stuff noticed that very likely there
was a mistake and kindly e-mail'ed me asking for clarifications, and we
agreed what was best to do (in that case simply remove the stuff since
the license was incompatible).
Just to say that not all GPL supporters are like this guy.

                      Ciao
                     Alfredo

       (100% sympathetic and always surprised why free software supporters
        who are otherwise doing a magnificent job, are sometimes so
        agressive)