[nas] Re: You are apparently unaware that you (with NAS) are violating the GPL?

Jon Trulson jon at radscan.com
Fri Jun 8 12:52:13 MDT 2007

On Fri, 8 Jun 2007, hugo vanwoerkom wrote:

> On 6/8/07, Jon Trulson <jon at radscan.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 8 Jun 2007, Soren A wrote:
>>
>> > WRT http://www.radscan.com/nas/nas-README.txt
>> >
>> > Violates the GPL license that applies when NAS is built with
>> > (distributed as) a Cygwin-linked binary.
>> >

>>    Wow, nice to meet you too!  You meet so many cool people on the
>>    internet.
>
> <snip>
>
> Jon, where did this come from? Just email you received? I wouldn't
> even bother replying to something like this: if they cannot write
> courteously it's just more spam and it already occu[ies 70% of
> everything.

   Just an email sent to me.  Ordinarily I would have just pressed 'D',
   but the name sounded familiar, so I googled him.  Seems he's one of
   the cygwin developers.

   I was just really surprised at his attitude :)  I always viewed the
   GPL as more of a religious license than anything else.  I do not
   think software can be more 'free' than under a BSD/MIT type
   license.  But perhaps that's just me.

   Maybe Nicolas cares, since he provides a precompiled cygwin version
   of NAS - hence the CC.  Personally Nicolas, I would just ignore it.

--
Jon Trulson
mailto:jon at radscan.com
#include <std/disclaimer.h>