[nas] NAS without soundcard?

Paul Fox pgf at foxharp.boston.ma.us
Tue Jul 31 18:10:14 MDT 2007

jonshan at eden.rutgers.edu wrote:
 > Hello,
 >
 > Is it possible to use NAS to play audio on a remote machine which does not
 > have a sound card? Specifically, I'm trying to "pipe across network"
 > dev/dsp from a remote machine without sound card to local machine with
 > soundcard running NAS.

if i understand you correctly, that's not what NAS does.

nas sends audio from NAS-aware clients (e.g.  auplay, others) to
a remote NAS server (nasd).  it won't send arbitrary sound generated
by arbitrary programs.

there's one exception -- there's a shared library shim, called audiooss,
which can be used to "wrap" a program.  it intercepts any usage of
/dev/dsp or /dev/mixer, and ships the request or data across the network
to a nasd server.  i've used this with netscape (long ago).

 > I tried running nasd, but it returned an error:
 > Init: Output open(/dev/dsp) failed: No such file or directory

you shouldn't be running nasd on the machine that's generating the
audio.

 > local (has sound card, audio works using nasd and specifying audioserver =
 > 127.0.0.1) <- remote (no sound card)

again, i'm a little confused, but i think it's terminology.

paul