[nas] native alsa bottom-end

Paul Fox pgf at foxharp.boston.ma.us
Sat May 13 09:50:36 MDT 2006

jon wrote:
 > On Fri, 12 May 2006, Paul Fox wrote:
 >
 > > i wrote:
 > > > ... currently i'm having a very odd problem where i
 > > > can play sounds via nasd just fine, but can't control the volume.
 > >

 > > okay, i've done some stracing, and it looks a lot like nasd isn't
 > > actually _doing_ anything when it gets the command.  i've put strace

 ...strace output snipped...

 >    Looks like it saw the proto and promptly ignored it.  Was there an
 >    active flow at the time?  I believe that is a requirement before the
 >    device will be opened, if ReleaseDevice is enabled.

there was no active flow.

but the mixer interface doesn't work whether or not there's a flow,
nor whether or not i have ReleaseDevice enabled.

i should add that this all works fine with an earlier nasd running
on a 2.4 (vs. my current 2.6) kernel and running on native oss
(rather than my current oss-on-alsa emulation, which is version 1.0.11).

stay tuned.  i clearly have some more research to do.  :-)

paul