[nas] native alsa bottom-end

Paul Fox pgf at foxharp.boston.ma.us
Sat May 13 09:46:47 MDT 2006

jon wrote:
 > On Fri, 12 May 2006, Paul Fox wrote:
 >
 > > unnecessary, but currently i'm having a very odd problem where i
 > > can play sounds via nasd just fine, but can't control the volume.
 > > i swear it used to work -- perhaps it broke in some apt-get that
 > > i did.  i dunno.  (this is on a debian "testing" system.)
 > > if i run aumix (an oss mixer) and alsamixer at the same time,
 > > each affects the other.  but if i run a remote mixer, nasd gets
 > > the messages, and perhaps does something with them, but they
 > > seem to have no effect.
 > >

 >          I am not sure what you mean by a remote mixer... I use xmms
 >          alot and the alsamixergui app.  I notice that when I adjust
 >          the volume in xmms, the PCM volume in alsamixer is adjusted,
 >          as it should be.

sorry -- i meant, a mixer working via the nas interface.  specifically,
auctl.  i.e. i have three mixers operating on top of alsa drivers:
    alsamixer        (alsa native)
    aumix            (oss compatibility mode on alsa)
    auctl --> nasd   (oss compatibility mode on alsa)

the first two work, the third one doesn't.

 > > given the size of the existing hp/sgi/sun/oss modules, it doesn't
 > > seem like an alsalib-based module should be difficult.  in
 >
 >          I am not familiar with the alsa interface, but I image a
 >          'basic' stereo driver would not be too difficult (he says

agreed.

 > > a first scan, though, i didn't see any doc that documents the api
 > > at that layer.  does such a doc exist?
 > >

 >          Alas no... When I worked on the HP driver, I used the others
 >          as a template.

okay, thanks.

paul