[nas] NAS and 5.1 sound

Jon Trulson jon at radscan.com
Tue Feb 28 18:00:57 MST 2006

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006, Hendrik Visage wrote:

> On 2/28/06, Jon Trulson <jon at radscan.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 26 Feb 2006, Hendrik Visage wrote:
>>
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> Do NAS support 5.1 sound? I'd like to setup a system with the sound
>>> server seperate from the
>>> displaying computer.
>>
>>    No, There's nothing in the architecture that would prevent it
>>    though - Just that no-one has done it.
>
> Does that mean that "It just need to be added to the client & server" ?

   In theory... auvoxware would need to be modified to set it up.  I
   suppose a new device type would need to be defined, etc.  I am not
   saying it would be trivial, but I do not know of anything inherent
   in NAS that would prevent it's implementation.

   The client interface would be interesting as well... Would it be
   treated as multiple stereo devices?  Would certainly need
   investigation.  Myself, I just use standard stereo, which works well
   enough for me...  Standard Dolby surround sound would work as well
   if sent to a dolby surround receiver,  as I believe the rear
   channels are encoded into the standard left/right, but 180 degrees
   out of phase.  Digital would be another matter of course :)

Jon Trulson    mailto:jon at radscan.com
ID: 1A9A2B09, FP: C23F328A721264E7 B6188192EC733962
PGP keys at http://radscan.com/~jon/PGPKeys.txt
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
"I am Nomad." -Nomad