[nas] Network transparent ALSA-sound

Lasse Riis lists at lasseriis.dk
Wed Nov 2 09:09:36 MST 2005

Hi

I'd like to setup my home system in a way that let's me transmit the
sound output from my laptop to my server over the (in this case,
wireless) network. I'd like a way to basically pick up ALSA-output, wrap
it and send it off to my server, which in turn should pick it up and
output it on its audio-device.

It doesn't have to be at ALSA-level or anything. I'd just like a setup
that picked up sound from all apps, not just apps that support whatever
"transmit software" I'm using. Basically that means I'd like Amarok by
way of xine, and mplayer to work. Also both computers should still be
able to play sound regularly at other times. So  imagine some sort of
setup where a command will set up sound-redirect on the laptop (and then
do an automated ssh-login to the server and setup the daemon or whatever
to receive sound). This way I can turn the sound setup on and off.

So in the end I should end up with "wireless sound". So I can control
and listen to, music or whatever without dragging a cable around.

I can't really figure out if this can be done, or if NAS is the thing
for this anyway. But I thought you guys propably know. And might direct
me to other projects if NAS is not the right tool for the job.

Lasse Riis