[nas] will correctly setting up NAS/etc? fix this issue?

Jon Trulson jon at radscan.com
Tue Jun 14 19:43:09 MDT 2005

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, Kristoffer wrote:

> as outlined here:
>
> http://wiki2.archlinux.org/index.php/Allow%20multiple%20programs%20to%20play%20sound%20at%20once
>
> (largely compiled by me... but as you can see, there is no definite
> non-propriatory solution yet.)
>
> (if you want you can add to the NAS section if NAS would be able to fix
> this...)
>
> have anyone gotten this to work, or know how to do it with NAS? Is it
> possible? Is it 100%?This issue
> remains perhaps the most frequently encountered audio problem on linux...
>
> i would LOVE it if anyone could help me/others here... I have battled with
> this for weeks... :/

 	NAS *could* help here.  NAS aware clients will share the audio
stream - ie: they will be mixed.  When NAS is not currently servicing any
clients, it will, by default, close the audio device to allow other
software to use it.

 	The key here is that all of the clients would need to be using NAS
as their audio output device.  non-NAS aware apps can make use of Erik's
LD_PRELOAD libaudiooss library (with certain restrictions) to fool OSS
apps into talking NAS by intercepting opens/write/etc to /dev/dsp et. al.

 	mmap'd dsp driver's will not work with libaudiooss IIRC.

Jon Trulson    mailto:jon at radscan.com
ID: 1A9A2B09, FP: C23F328A721264E7 B6188192EC733962
PGP keys at http://radscan.com/~jon/PGPKeys.txt
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
"I am Nomad." -Nomad